So Seth didn’t get to begin his treatment today. We arrived at the clinic right at 8 to have his blood work done before heading over to Children’s for the OR check in. When they took his vitals he had a temperature and right away we knew this didn’t bode well for anything happening today. He had the rest of his vitals taken and we were put into an infusion room for the nurse to do his bloodwork. A repeat temperature and vitals were taken and his temp was even higher. They paged Dr. Wright to see what the plan was. The nurse did the requested blood work and also drew a blood culture because he had a fever. Dr. Wright came and I could tell that today wasn’t going to be the day. She said this isn’t good and they won’t put him to sleep with a fever. After speaking with her colleague it was decided we would return to clinic tomorrow morning and see how he’s doing. If he has a fever but looks ok we’ll begin chemo but the intrathecal they were hoping to administer first will have to wait, if he has a fever and looks bad he’ll be admitted to be watched, and if he doesn’t have a fever I believe we’ll be admitted to begin the chemotherapy through the line as well. They will also be checking to see if the blood culture comes back negative at the 24 hour mark. If it doesn’t then we’ll have to wait until the 48 mark.
They aren’t sure what is causing the fever. If it’s left over effects from the RSV, he caught something else, or maybe the stomach bug because he was sick twice yesterday and had a DOOZY (Steve gagging and the loss of a onesie – sorry to the entire clinic who had to use that bathroom for the remainder of the day) of a diaper this morning. At any rate another setback. Not sure when he’s going to catch a break but we really hope it’s soon!!!
He was given IV fluids, the 24 hour antibiotic, Tylenol, and we were sent over to Children’s imaging to have his vent check Dr. Goumnerova ordered yesterday. They also sent us home with some anti-nausea medicine in case he wasn’t feeling well later in the day. Luckily they did because around 4 we attempted a bottle and he immediately started gagging and throwing up what he could. I think it’s partly because he’s too little to get the gunk out when he’s coughing and partly because he just feels crappy.
Here’s hoping tomorrow is the day and not another delay!